Sunday, November 18, 2007

Belgique 12/9/92

"Don't you love her madly", most recent blog posts here have been fuelled by music inspiration. This post is no different and The Doors, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and the Tom Robinson Band this time provide the momentum in the form of a cassette i rediscovered while tidying up tonight.

I compiled the cassette many moons ago, 12 Sept 92, to be precise from the record collection of truck driver Serge. He had picked me up from the side of the road a day or so prior. I was hitching out of Paris with the view to get to Calais but found myself extending my Euro 92 trip by a few more days.

That was more than 15 years ago. Today I attended the BC New Democratic Convention as a delegate from the constituency Vancouver Hastings. I am proud and very happy member of the NDP right now. We passed some great resolutions and are firmly on course to defeat the Liberals on May 12, 2009.

In less than a month I will be in England with my family and taking things a little easier than I have done over the last year or so. It is an exciting time. When i tell people I am headed for England, the first question asked "for good?" No. I am beginning to feel established now in Canada and having gone through a separation and a divorce things were a little rockier than I had anticipated when I set out on this Canuck adventure in the winter of 04.

I am aware that my last post was a bit of a teaser, sorry about that. I am working for Media Maintenance. Vancouverites and beyond might be a bit more familiar with the name Patterson on billboards all over town. As a member of the painters union I got the job about a month ago. I like the work and it's a heck of a lot easier on the body than my last painting role a la industrial. I can still smell sulphur on some of my work clothes. It is only a temporary post into the new year but having already bought my plane ticket to England prior to getting this job I will be leaving sooner. I get to cut and paste billboard posters in prep for display. I have also worked 'on the road' twice putting up the posters. And a few weeks back now I accumulated a few more painting hours painting the steel frames Patterson Brown.

Of course it will be back to the drawing board on my return to Canada but I am happy to say that I am a lot more confident about that time than when I have previously been in that position.

As for college, that will be later now, possibly April.

No comments: