Sunday, August 28, 2011

Travel Mode

A week from now I will be at the airport in Calgary awaiting my flight to Manchester, England.

It's under a year since I was last in England but it feels a lot longer than that. I think it's just down to the fact that I've been busy. Yet at the same time I really don't feel like I've done that much. Who am I? Well yes this blog And Out Left is a blog by Gary Jarvis. I'm from north west London if you want to know but have been living in Vancouver for nearly seven years and most of that in the Downtown Eastside. Every time I take a trip back to England I get the feeling that I am closer to leaving Vancouver.

In fact I have more days than not when I think to myself why I am still in Vancouver. There's an answer to that question that I just haven't worked out.
It's a glorious sunny day in Vancouver and I'm readying myself for a trip to England, finding British money I forgot I had - no great fortunes but along with hostel cards and an Oyster (London Underground) card it feels like I'm ready.

I am readying myself for the travel mode. I got a cheap flight out of Calgary, and in typical style, well for me at least, I will be doing the Greyhound there. That's 18 hours on a bus! I've already decided that I am going to be traveling light. I hope to stay at a hostel in Calgary that has great reviews in the Rough Guide to Canada but that's not confirmed.

So I'm thinking of packing the emergency sheet, sleeping back and maybe even a tarp. It was last used for a night camping in Osoyoos. I will not be packing a tent though. It's tempting but it can stay here on this side of The Atlantic.

From Calgary it's a flight to Manchester, and then a quick hop to Carnforth.

No comments: